VP Software Engineering
Victoria, bc, canada - full time permanent
Our core corporate value is Quality of Life for Everyone.
If the company takes care of the employees, then the employees will take care of the customers.
Happy customers yield prosperous companies and then the cycle repeats.
We're looking for someone to lead our technical team so that we can meet the increasing demand that we're experiencing. We want to build new software, add features to our existing software, gain new skills, and run more innovative experiments. Our customers love our core product, and they want more from us. We need someone to help us plan, deliver, and maintain our software.
Who are we?
Rooof sells software to property management companies in the USA on monthly recurring subscriptions. On-site users at each property use our software to automatically put classified advertisements on the internet using our browser extension that mimics human-like browser-interactions. Instead of making those ads manually, renewing them, and then updating prices, our software does all the work. Our software is used in over 1,800 apartment buildings.
People love our software because it writes great performing ads and because we have automated a task that they despise. We are preparing to build new software for our existing customers to meet other needs, unrelated to classified ad automation.
Although our current client-side component is a browser extension for Chrome, we are currently building an Electron implementation to enable new growth. Our legacy API is built in PHP and we have begun building a Python replacement with the goal of transitioning before the end of 2017.
We are a team of twelve people with our corporate head office in Victoria. Three of our staff are outside of Victoria, but we are no longer considering additional remote staff. Relocation within Canada or from the USA are welcome with existing permanent residency status.
What do we offer?
- You will enjoy going to work every day.
- You will have fun with your colleagues.
- You will build software that people love. (even though classified ads aren't super sexy)
- The opportunity to build new products from concept to production (among other responsibilities)
- The opportunity to mentor others and grow your skills
- Competitive salary to ensure that you have everything that you need outside or work, and more.
- Health, dental, vision, and other benefits for you and your family (after 90 days)
- Best-in-class products. No competitor has a better product than us!
- New office environment in the downtown core (construction finishing May 2017)
- Really fun and smart colleagues!
Who are you?
- You are dedicated to improving the lives of your team.
- You assume the best of others and you have a high degree of empathy.
- You have extensive experience with an object oriented language.
- You have moderate to extensive experience with app development.
- You have concrete experience with Git.
- You have moderate or better experience with AWS.
- You prefer it done right, not necessarily right now.
- You have exceptional problem solving abilities and you don't give up.
- You can push other people to excel while encouraging them to grow.
- You feel that user-confusion and user-frustrations is often a design flaw.
- You want your work to be beautiful, not just functional.
- You are customer-focused and you strive to create evangelists.
- You have 5+ years of relevant team leadership experience.
- You have 10+ years of relevant software development experience.
- You may have previously held an executive-level position or you may have extensive experience as a team leader and you are ready for more responsibility.
- You have an education that demonstrates core principles in the field.
What work could you be doing?
- Leading product design, development, testing, maintenance, and improvements.
- Helping the engineering team perform at a higher level through mentorship and teaching
- Work with Amazon AWS (EC2, ElasticBeanstalk, RDS, CloudFront, ElastiCache, etc.)
- Machine Learning experiments
- New product experiments
What are the caveats?
- Existing senior management expects to have input into hiring, firing, and promotions.
- Our industry has many oddities that take a while to absorb. You can expect a transition period of 4-6 months before you'll have a good grasp of our industry and customers.
Where does this go?
- The CEO/Founder currently leads many aspects of the technical team while acknowledging that most of the team needs little supervision. We need an orchastra leader
- We're growing rapidly (consistently ~9% month-over-month in the last ~12 months) so we expect opportunities for accelerated personal growth as we continue to grow with new products and new customers.
- We have several new products on the roadmap. You might manage a product, a team, and/or growth thereof.
- Recruiting, attracting, supervising, motivating all members of the software development team.
This is a senior position with a budget allowance for a senior salary intended to attract highly qualified candidates from near or far. Please feel free to submit your salary expectations, otherwise we will discuss your salary expectations prior to any in-person interviews.
All employees receive three (3) weeks of paid vacation and an additional paid break from December 26th to 31st. Health insurance, dental insurance, and long term disability insurance are also provided after the probation period. Extended unpaid leave may be considered for unique situations.
Our Interview Process
- Resumes are reviewed on a rolling-basis and candidates are contacted as soon as possible to respect your time.
- Telephone interviews are conducted to ensure that your expectations and ours are as expected.
- Interviews in person with the CEO/Founder and senior team members.
- Reverse-interviews in person with the team and extended time with CEO/Founder.
Email jobs at rooof dot com with an introduction, CV, and anything else you would like us to know about you. Resumes submitted through third party services may be missed or discarded. We do not reply to all applications. If requested via email, we will confirm receipt of your application.
If you want to really impress us, we would love to receive a 60-second audio or video clip to hear you speak about any topic that would make us excited to work with you.
The position will remain open until filled. Apply at your earliest convenience. We always exercise discretion for anyone already employed.
We look forward to meeting you!