Software Engineering Manager
Victoria, bc, canada - full time permanent
At Rooof, we build the world’s best software for automatically creating classified-ads. That said, we’re even more proud of the team that we’ve built. We love working together and we’re very good at innovating, selling, and turning customers into evangelists! We’ve been growing rapidly and need an organized technical leader to keep our software development on pace with our sales growth.
This is primarily a team leadership position best suited to someone with strong technical fundamentals. The day-to-day responsibilities will tend more towards project management than hands-on technical contributions.
- Ensure new product and features are delivered reliably, on time, and to specifications.
- Coordinate our actions to response to bugs, errors, omissions, and third-party troubles.
- Liaise between the Software Engineering team and the Customer-facing team.
- Lead, manage, recruit, and improve the technical team.
Who you'd be working with
AdamC is our CEO/Founder. He has been managing all of the software engineers since the company was started, but now it's time to pass the reigns so that he can focus on growing sales, building out the team, and searching for additional products and services.
Anton is Rooof's longest-serving employee and our only colleague working remotely in Russia. Anton built the very first iteration of our Chrome extension and several major overhauls over the last five years. He joins us for weekly engineering video conference meetings, but largely manages his day fairly independently in Jira.
AdamZ is the core designer and contributor to both our old and new API. He lives mostly in PHP and Python with frequent visits to AWS. AdamZ works remotely from Vancouver, but joins the team via webcam three times a week and makes regular trips to Victoria.
Matt is the glue that bonds together the engineering side of the company with the sales side. He manages all customer implementations, upgrades, and modifications. Matt also assists the sales team with technical questions during the sales process as well as any support requests that need an engineer's opinion.
Catlin is almost exclusively dedicated to creating a new product platform in Electron and porting our Chrome extension to Electron, so he's basically our R&D guy. He also assists Anton with changes to the existing code base for the browser extension.
Miranda primarily performs a role that we call Mapping. Our software needs to be taught how to interpret the apartment websites that it parses, so Miranda formulates xpath statements and regular expressions into a configuration file for each new customer. These mappings are a basis for extracting data like bedroom count, price, availability date, and photos so that we have sufficient raw data with which to build a variety of classified ads. The mapping process also determines the variability of each ad to make them unique from one moment to the next.
One of your early responsibilities as Software Engineering Manager will be to add new people to our team. Our people need very little technical guidance; Instead they mostly need someone who sees the entire picture to bring people and code together. Our early priorities are to add more people for automated quality assurance and then back-end programmers in the realm of Python, HTML, and CSS. We'd love to get you on board quickly so that you can have a hand in picking your own team expansion, but we won't delay if we find the right candidates while we're waiting for you to become available!
What do your days look like?
- You will organize and reorganize task priority in Jira to meet business objectives.
- If something breaks, you are probably quarterbacking the conversation to fix it. You probably won't write any code, but you might do a code review or play the devil's advocate.
- You will lead the weekly conversation with the software engineers to check in on everyone's major projects. You'll communicate the needs of the sales team to the engineers and then you'll provide progress updates back to the sales team.
- You will be responsible for projecting delivery dates of new features, new products, and bug fixes. If delivery is delayed, then you are responsible for setting expectations and communicating with all those affected.
- When a new product or feature is conceived, you will be responsible for managing the people and process which bring it from requirements collection through to production and regular maintenance.
- You will use your project management skills to ensure that every voice has been heard and decisions are well documented.
- You will provide performance feedback to your team and ensure that they are continuing to grow and meet their career objectives. We will also use 360 reviews so that you get feedback on your leadership.
- You will predict staffing needs for growth, write job descriptions, and interview new candidates.
Who are you?
- You are dedicated to improving the lives of your team and your customers.
- You assume the best in others and you have a high degree of empathy.
- You have extensive experience developing software, but you would rather lead people and manage projects.
- You're competent at writing code and shipping software, but you're humble enough to know when your direct reports know more than you do.
- You prefer it done right, not necessarily right now.
- You have exceptional problem solving abilities and you don't give up.
- You can push other people to excel while encouraging them to grow.
- You feel that user-confusion and user-frustrations is often a design flaw.
- You want your work to be beautiful, not just functional.
- You are customer-focused and you strive to create evangelists.
- You have several years of relevant team leadership experience.
- You may have previously held a similar position or you may have extensive experience as a team leader and you are ready for more responsibility.
- You have an education that demonstrates core principles in the field of software.
- There is no specific technical experience required, but we expect that any eligible candidate would have 10+ years of diverse experience programming.
This is a senior position intended to attract highly qualified candidates from near or far. Please feel free to submit your salary expectations if you have a clear objective, otherwise we will discuss your salary expectations prior to any in-person interviews.
All employees receive three (3) weeks of paid vacation and an additional paid break from December 26th to 31st. Fully-paid health insurance, dental insurance, and long term disability insurance are also provided after the 90-day probation period.
How to Apply
Email jobs at rooof dot com with an introduction, CV, and anything else you would like us to know about you. Resumes submitted through third party services such as Indeed or Craigslist may be missed or discarded. We do not reply to all applications, but we are happy to confirm receipt of your application if requested.
If you want to really get our attention, we would love to receive a 60-second audio or video clip to hear you speak about any topic that would make us excited to work with you. Information interviews may also be considered for those interested.
The position will remain open until filled, but we'd love to fill it before the end of 2017. Apply at your earliest convenience. We always exercise discretion for anyone already employed.
We look forward to meeting you!